Coleslaw HEAVEN (Asian Inpsired)
So the beginning of this coleslaw heaven tale starts with a great recipe from Alton Brown. Said recipe may be found here. The reason I had to tweak it some is because I don’t have time to be looking for fancy chilies and plus my daughters are allergic to peanuts (almonds I add for crunch and they are good with those). This coleslaw, as many are, is excellent with any BBQ main dish or inside a bun next to pulled pork. Please try my coleslaw out – avoid any ingredients you are allergic to and please tweak as needed to your own tastes. – Let me know what you think!!
- 1 (3-inch) piece ginger, grated fine
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced (USE THE ZEST OF THE LIME TOO)
- (CAN SUBSTITUTE 3 tablespoons of PONZU SAUCE FOR SOY + LIME)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 pinch of chili flakes
- 1 head Napa cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienne fine
- 1 large carrot, grated fine with a peeler (or 1/2 cup of shredded bag carrot)
- 3 green onions, cut on the bias, all of white part and half of the green
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of dry roasted almonds
1- Whisk the first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl. Reserve half of this dressing in a cup just in case you want to control how wet the coleslaw is.
2- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. The cabbage will release water as it sits – this is why we reserved some of the dressing.
2- Chill for 1 hour and add more dressing along with salt and pepper to taste.
3- Serve next to BBQ.
4- Instagram your picture with #mini_osa_food