Almond Cookie Tweaked!
These are amaaaaaaaaaZing!
There are a couple tweaks that you may consider, otherwise, this recipe is near flawless. The cookie will be crunchy on the edges and chewy in the very middle, especially if you like to usually bake for 2 to 3 minutes longer than the recipe suggests. I do like my cookie to crunch!~ Make sure to move the finished cookies to a cooling rack after 5-8 mins out of the oven – it does make a difference because the steam and heat will cease to work on your cookie as they sit producing a better mouth feel (everyone has been saying “mouth feel” these days so I guess I’ll give it a shot). LOL.
Step ONE: Open this link.
- double the amount of vanilla extract to 1 tsp
- you can skip the almond extract if you don’t have it
- use salty organic almond butter – which I had on hand so I skipped the added salt in the recipe
- I swapped the flour for 1 cup of almond flour completely to reduce gluten and add protien
- Instead of the sugar the recipe required, I went with 1/2 cup of BROWN sugar – and 10 drops of LIQUID Stevia (if you have it, USE IT).
- because the mixture was still too wet IMHO, I added 2 Tbs of flour (go figure – still less than a cup in the recipe!)
- add 2 to 3 mins to the bake time to give a deep golden brown and better crunch
- You can skip the almond topping or you can get creative with your almonds – personal prefference
- 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Step 2 (Step One was opening the link above) – Heat oven to 375°F.
- Step 3 – Beat almond butter, butter and sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy. Beat in egg. Add flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla and almond extract. Beat until smooth. Form balls using 1 tablespoon dough. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Press 4 or 5 almond slices on top of each cookie.
- Step 4 – Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on pan 1 minute. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.